How to Use Terpenes: The Complete Guide
Terpenes are substances that can be extracted from various plants.
In most cases, people associate them with cannabis. But, you can get them from other plants as well.
Nowadays, companies are selling terpenes in different shapes and forms. In this article, we will discuss more about these awesome items and how you can benefit from using them.
What exactly are terpenes?
Although people are very excited about terpenes, a lot of them don’t know much about these substances. Oftentimes, we think of them as a matter that can be found within essential oils and some specific plants.
Terpenes are highly concentrated forms of scent. They can be found in various plants, and they are the main reason why these plants and flowers smell the way they do. Terpenes also provide a natural taste to plants.
For the longest time, we knew very little about them. But, as we invest more in cannabis research, our knowledge is slowly increasing.
In fact, cannabis is one of the best plants for terpene studies, as it has a high concentration and diversity of these chemical compounds. According to the initial data, they can provide various benefits to users.
Cannabis isn’t the only source of terpenes
We often focus on cannabis as the optimal plant for terpene extraction. But, there are many other species that can provide us with these awesome substances.
First of all, we need to mention there are more than 30,000 terpenes in the world. Some of their popular sources include mint, basil, rosemary, and so on. Still, perhaps the most common is the marijuana plant. You can get more than 100 different terpenes from it.
Due to the fact that these compounds can be found in various plants, cannabis companies have the option of combining marijuana with things such as basil and rosemary.
That way, you get an improved taste and smell without having to sacrifice natural composition and terpene abundance.
How to use terpenes?
Terpenes are really great. You can add them to various substances and formulas without interfering with your end-product. Keep in mind that you can extract these chemical compounds from plants, which makes them completely legal. They are safe, non-intoxicating, and they carry various benefits.
If you wish, you can easily extract them from plants, and afterward, use them for your own formulation. In order to do so, you will need certain starting equipment. Always remember that you should start with a 1% terpene concentration.
If necessary, you can ramp up this concentration even further as you go along. These substances are very concentrated by themselves, so it is better to use caution.
Terpenes can be added to almost anything. Nowadays, they are a popular addition to cannabis products. But, you can also add them to supplements, medicines, and other items that have high nutritional value.
For example, you can add them to foods, beverages, cosmetic products, aromatherapy items, etc.
Common terpenes and their benefits
It is really hard to mention all the potential benefits of these chemicals. The reason is that there are simply too many to keep track of!
Given there are more than 30,000 terpenes, you can resolve a lot of issues by taking the right terpene at the right time.
Here are some of the most popular types:
- Myrcene is found in plants such as thyme, mango, hops. It is great for muscles, inflammations, and it can also relieve stress.
- Linalool is one of them in ingredients of lavender. Due to its presence, lavender can be used for anxiety, pain relief, and sedation.
- Pinene is common for pines, and you can also find it in basil, parsley, rosemary. The substance is great for memory, focus, and it can also be used for infections.
- Limonene is found in peppermint and certain fruits. You can use it for intestinal problems, digestion, and depression. We are still not aware of the plant’s full potential, as it might be used for cancers, fungus, bacteria, and numerous other issues.
- Caryophyllene is found in cloves and cotton. It is great for inflammations and digestion.
Are terpenes legal?
Although terpenes are great and can help you treat numerous issues, people are still reluctant to use products that feature them. The main reason for this skepticism comes from the fact that terpenes are often extracted from cannabis.
As a result, people think they have psychedelic properties. Rest assured, this cannot be farther from the truth.
They are completely legal, no matter where you buy them. The chemicals aren’t addictive, so you can use them as much as you want.
Can terpenes get you high?
No, terpenes cannot get you high.
As already mentioned, although these substances are often derived from cannabis, that doesn't mean they are addictive or intoxicating by themselves.
The only psychedelic part of the cannabis plant is THC, a substance that is not extracted together with terpenes. They also don't have CBD, the main part of medical cannabis products.
These chemical substances can cause a wide variety of effects. They might affect your mood and help you relax, but that doesn't mean they will get you high.
Depending on a terpene that you're using, you might even feel sleepy, or you might feel a surge of energy. Still, none of these conditions can be classified as a "psychedelic trip."
What are some natural terpene oil uses?
Companies often augment their products by adding terpenes to them. So, you have products such as essential oils that have additional terpene ingredients.
Even without adding them, most of these plants have them as it is.
Terpenes are common for tea tree, citruses, and various other plants.
- Tea tree oil is a great source of terpenes and one of the most popular essential oils on the market. The product is great for skin conditions, and it is especially praised for its ability to treat various inflammations. If a manufacturer ads some extra terpenes to it, the product can be used in a new and exciting way, treating some nasty ailments.
- Citruses provide a lot of nutrients to our bodies. We love them because of their high vitamin C content. But, they also have certain terpenes. These types of oils can be used for various recipes, and they can also be great for the cold. Some people are even using them as a cleaning substance.
- Patchouli essential oil is often disregarded. This is because there are so many awesome essential oils on the market, and we tend to neglect products such as this. Nevertheless, if you appreciate your youthful appearance, and want to keep it the way it is, we suggest we try this product. It is full of terpenes, and some companies add more to boost its medicinal value.